Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder caused by the air not effectively making it to your lungs while you sleep, thus prompting your body to wake up. If your airway is obstructed while you sleep, this form of sleep apnea is called obstructive sleep apnea. Another form of sleep apnea that is just as dangerous is called central sleep apnea. Central sleep apnea is caused by a disruption of signals from your brain sent to your chest to instruct you to breathe. Sleep apnea is dangerous but can be treated.
Listed below are some common risk factors for sleep apnea:
– Males have a higher risk of sleep apnea.
– You are more likely to have sleep apnea if you are over 40 years old.
– Irregular ailments that can increase your risk for sleep apnea include an enlarged tongue or tonsils, a deviated septum, nasal blockages, a small jaw, and throat obstructions.
– Genetics play a heavy role in many disorders, including sleep apnea.
– Common allergies and sinus problems can also enhance your likelihood of sleep apnea.
If left untreated, sleep apnea can put you at risk for stroke, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart attack, and even death. Don’t delay in scheduling a visit with our team at Oral Surgery of Tidewater to determine if you are suffering from sleep apnea. To schedule an appointment with our team in Virginia Beach, Virginia, please call us at (757) 544-9192. Dr. Melvin Ford, Dr. Klaus Guter, and Dr. James Gray look are ready to help you get the good night’s sleep you deserve!